Pillows are never enough in an apartment! They offer more comfort on the sofa and ensure cosiness in the armchair! Floor cushions also find a nice application at home: they make the home comfortable and provide additional seating. Put on pillows, then you can rely on a flexible decoration in your own home. Because pillowcases in different colors and patterns offer a rich variety of deco ideas in the modern home.
Colorful patterns spice up any space
It can be really colorful with pillows! These can also be used to complete the interior, without setting accents. So interior designs are possible in which the individual elements harmonize perfectly with each other. You can make beautiful pillows yourself. With placket or zipper, colorful or rather discreet and elegant, pillowcases bring a fresh touch to the room.
If you also want to sew pillows, get the necessary materials and collect enough inspiration from our picture gallery!
Select subtle patterns for the pillowcases
What do you need for the cushion cover:
- Cotton fabric for front and back
- Endless zipper with one zipper per pillow
- Cloth scissors and possibly rotary cutter and cutting mat
Bring the summer mood into the living room with the right motifs
How to sew a pillowcase with a zipper
- Properly measure the length, height and width of the pillow.
- For a 40 x 40 cm cushion you need seam allowance (NZ) of 1.5 cm for the lower side and NZ of 1 cm for all others.
- Cut the front and back of the fabric.
- Also cut the zipper, which should be about 2 cm shorter than the pillow. This will be located at the bottom of the pillow.
- Front and back part right to right, with the beautiful sides on top of each other.
- firmly pin the bottom where the zipper should be
- Make a mark from left to right 3 cm from the edge
- Sew the first 3 cm to the mark with a straight line with the sewing machine.
- Extend the stitch length as much as possible, about 5 cm, then go to the normal stitch length of 2 cm.
- Do not forget to always lock at the beginning and end
- Put on the zipper, extend slightly beyond the mark.
- Iron the seam allowance apart at the pillow.
- Place the zipper on the left side of the pillow with the zipper down on the middle of the seam and secure.
- Make a mark until where it is to be sewn later.
- Turn the cover once to the right side.
- Transfer the pins from the left side to the right side of the fabric.
- Insert the zipper foot of the sewing machine
- Place the needle on the side of the foot with the zipper on it.
- Sew to the mark and to the other side as well.
- To tear the seam over the zipper: This is the seam that was previously sewn in large sections.
- A zipper about 2/3 open, the turning opening actually.
- Lay the beautiful pillow sides right to right over each other and put the three remaining open sides together.
- Sew the three sides together with the overlock machine.
- Turn the zipper.
- Press the corners out.
- Iron the pillowcase.
Find a cushion of the appropriate size and put it in the cover. Then decorate your apartment with the new pillow!
In this video you can clearly see how to sew a cushion cover with a hotel closure step by step.
Sofa cushions are a universal decoration, regardless of space and style. Because for every room you will find suitable colors and motifs that influence the room atmosphere. These are always added when the color in the room is in order or when the finishing touch is missing in the room … Decorate your living room sofa with a self-made pillow or make a unique gift!
Your photo was saved successfully